Natural Evidence Based Tools For Lifestyle Medicine

Evidence Based Natural Medicines

The research for natural medicine has been very slow in coming and this is understandable when you look at where the funding comes from. Business’s with a large profile also command a large amount of respect so I don’t think there is any doubt that they get special treatment, especially if they fund a lot of health areas that the government would have to fund themselves if they dropped out. Big Pharma does this.Continue reading

We Own Ten Percent Of Our Microbes

If We Only Own 10% of Our MicroBiome Who Owns The Other 90%?

I don’t know how many of you people watch science programs like catalyst but I find them fascinating and a great arena for learning. Last year catalyst presented the ‘Gut Reaction’ which was about the human micro biome. I was surprised to learn that we only own 10 percent of the microbes so in effect we are a conduit for micro organisms. We do not know what the other microbes do yet we are killing them with antibiotics, prescribed and by stealth contained within the meat we consume.Continue reading

You Might Live To A Very Old Age If You Don’t Die Young

You might live to a very old age if you don’t die young.

This might seem like a conflict in terms when you first read it if you have never studied in this area.I have never been convinced by the genetic researchers that
all disease has a genetic basis and we can do nothing about it, it always seemed a much too fertile field for growing mistruths and making a lot of money. There I go again the skeptic in me, naturopaths are not meant to be like this, it must be all that boat-people-cartoon-1deductive thinking that I can’t stop my brain from doing, and a lot of evidence from the past. My Australian ancestors arrived soon after the first wave of European boat people – the locals didn’t send the Europeans to Naru but instead allowed them to settle and wreck their lives forever.Continue reading

Naturopaths Can Be Friends Of Science Too – I Am

Naturopaths Can Be Friends Of Science Too – I Am

First of all let me say to Professor John Dwyer that I have no argument with his attack on pseudoscience I know it is justified but John would throw out the baby with the bathwater images-1by lumping us all into the same category. http://www.scienceinmedicine.org.au  I like John’s Friends Of Science In Medicine and I think we should also start one and call it Friends Of Science In Natural Medicine because a lot of us do practice, and always have practiced scientifically. What attracted me to Naturopathy in the first place was it’s reliance on natural methods not supplements, they entered the naturopathic landscape much later. What John is ignoring is the fact that naturopaths have to follow guidelines set down by their associations, similar to doctors with their association AMA, and if these associations do not provide sound  direction, like sheep they follow their leader.Continue reading

What is Lifestyle Medicine

Lifestyle Medicine

I have always loved nature, science, nutrition, natural medicine and sport and trying to top the class in all of this has been one hell of an apprenticeship and hasn’t finished yet. Science is forever opening another pandora’s box causing a new chase to begin for practitioners to understand some aspect of health/disease. For 50 years it looked like drugs held the answer, then it shifted towards genetics and now it looks like lifestyle medicine is going to revolutionise medicine and prevent 80 percent of diseases from occurring in the first place. Man is evolving wrong causing disease. So what is lifestyle medicine… https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lifestyle_medicineContinue reading

Eat Your Weeds

Eat your Weeds – Foraging

imagesI am a Naturopath so I am meant to be weird, sort of like a journalistic licence, I am more weird than most of the IMG_1262Naturopaths that I know because I actually worship and follow science. Prove it or remove it was my catch cry for many years, long before I completed my Masters Degree in Clinical Science -Lifestyle Medicine at Southern Cross University. I only stopped using it because it was seen as an incivility and any incivility attracts a negative response. 

Continue reading